General questions about Pivot Grid feaures
We are evaluating Pivot Table and have the following questions:
- If the data is not in the format expected by the pivot table, do I have to convert the data up front, or there’s a way to do that via the API?
- Does it support the concept of cell renderer where I can format the data using a custom function? Same question with CSS styling.
- Is there a limit of maximum number of records supported?
- Does it support thousands of columns?
Thank you for your interest in Flexmonster Pivot.
1. Our component supports data in certain formats and your data needs to be already converted. Please specify your data source and we will provide you with some useful tips.
2. Yes, Flexmonster allows formatting the data using a custom function. This demo shows how the value of each cell can be replaced with the image. Our blog post called Grid customization and styling beyond CSS will demonstrate you several examples of possible CSS styling. Please have a look at it.
3.- 4. Our component can handle as much data as your browser can. There are no limitations on the number of records or columns.
I hope you would find my answers useful. Please ask me in case of other questions.
Thanks for your response. The data we have is in json. but can be in arbitrary format. For example,
I am wondering if the values can be processed as part of the pivot table rendering mechanism so that we don’t have to process the data upfront, especially for large data set.
Thank you for the question. Please have a look at our documentation page: http://www.flexmonster.com/doc/json-data-source. There is an example of the JSON format we support. If your format matches the suggested one, then there is no need to make any manipulations with your data. Also, please note that you can specify the types of your data fields in the meta-object. Here is an example: http://www.flexmonster.com/doc/data-types-in-json.
Please let us know if you have any additional questions.
If I’m not using the built-in formatting options provided by the pivot grid, is there a way to format a cell value based on custom function? I looked at the cell parameter passed in the customzeCellFunction, and it doesn’t seem to have a way to access/update just the cell value alone. “cell.text” returns the full html in the cell. Also, is there a way to access the dom node reference to the cell being rendered?
Thanks for your reply.
We would like to mention that
customizeCellFunction is used to change data representation on the grid in Flexmonster Pivot. To replace the values on the grid please use
'cell.text' parameter of
customizeCellFunction. It returns the text of the element which may also contain HTML. If your cells contain only the text, you can just replace the values. And in case there was some HTML, you would be able to replace just the text with the help of regular expressions. Here is the sample demonstrating one of the possible ways to handle the situation when the cell contains HTML: http://jsfiddle.net/flexmonster/q1gtwj48/.
Please let me know if you have questions.